Wednesday 11 April 2012

Cats, Kids and Supply Teaching

I am still under the impression that despite hearing endless tales from my work, my family don't really "get" what Supply Teaching is... because it's one of those things that you can't get until you do it. But now, thanks to the family cat, we are one step closer.

Over the holidays I was visiting my Parents when we realised the family cat needed to be given his flea tablets. For anyone who has met me- I've usually got a scratch or two from administering tablets to my own cat. I can do it, but it's not easy. Sometimes blood is shed. If I put my tongue firmly in my cheek for a moment- I could say it is kind of like a "challenging" day of Supply Teaching.

As my Mother was cooking dinner I decided I'd give the flea tablets to their cat. I picked him up, put the tablets in the vicinity of his mouth- he swallowed them and it was done. My parents were amazed. The cat was happy. Things were done. I didn't do anything differently when giving the cat the tablets (in fact I probably did a worse job). It was just the cat was so shocked to have someone different giving them to him that he behaved himself. It was a lot like a good day of Supply Teaching.

It was like those days when someone arrives at 9.30 to breathlessly announce that little Johnny in the front row doesn't sit with the class and throws things if you try to tell him what to do... only to discover that you have in fact asked Johnny to sit with the class because you didn't know any better... and he's done it. Poor Johnny was so swept up by the strange (and I mean that in a good way) Supply Teacher in front of him that he just went with the flow and behaved.

It's OK, I'll give Harry (the family cat) a pat on your behalf for the lesson he taught us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment