Sunday 8 April 2012

Not so smart...boards...

I'm really not that smart with smartboards. I mean that both in the self-depricating "I'm really not technically-minded" way and also in the literal "smartboards aren't actually smart/interactive when I use them- they just act as data-projectors" way... but you've asked for my advice so here it is...

A Beginning Supply Teacher's Guide to Smartboards... with picutres!

How do I connect my laptop to the smartboard?
Odds are there will be a cable already plugged into the smartboard... and it will look like this...


It may also be worth investing in your own- it's called a serial cable... and well you plug it into your laptop in the only spot it fits... and off you go. The little screw-in bits probably wont screw into your laptop- but that's ok. Just push the cable into the port and you should be fine. You may need to restart your computer if it doesn't display on the smartboard right away.


What about sound?
The smartboard's speakers will work with either a USB cable or an audio cable (see below). Just plug it in and off you go.
I have found a few places where no matter what I do the speakers won't work... so I got my own. They are pink (of course) and cost under $15 from Kmart. I am very sure that there are better speakers out there- but these fit in my handbag with my laptop (the are teeny-tiny) and, well they are pink! Note in the picture below they are twisted closed- when you open them the sound greatly improves (yeah- sad but true the voice of experience speaks here).


So now what?
Well I use the smartboard almost daily. In most classrooms it can be hard to find any traditional whiteboard space, so I find it essential to have somewhere to write. I open a word document and just use the smartboard as a data projector. At the end of the day, I save the word document, add relevant information on behaviour etc and email it to the Classroom Teacher when I get home.

I realise that this is a terrible under-utilisation of a wonderful resource, but without the software for smartboards being installed on my laptop it's all I can do. No internet access, no interactivity. The touchscreen almost never works. That's OK. Being able to quickly display typed information, or ever show a PDF file can be a life-saver in a classroom.

I also have a heap of short videos I have downloaded (2-3 min max) to use during transition times. There's nothing like a bit of good old-fashioned bribery!

I hope this quick guide helps you... as always feel free to email if you have any more questions.

2 comments:

  1. Yes I agree Amber . If you have a Mac Book like me - you have to buy an adapter before you can plug into the schools PC default whiteboard cables as you have described above. They are available at Mac shops - take your mac book in with you as there are a stack of different ones they say to suit different models of Macs Im getting one next week - will let you know how it goes. : )
    and lol about the speakers - thats something I would do for sure !
    Athene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo... may have to ask you for a post about working with Macs in the seemingly PC world of state schools... once you've given it a good go.

      Delete